The Argyll Velodrome was constructed in 1977 by the City of Edmonton as a primary site for competitive cycling during the 1978 Commonwealth Games. Since then, it has hosted numerous national, provincial, and local competitions. It is presently home to various Edmonton cycling clubs as well as the School Groups Program.
This program is offered to junior high and high school students in the greater Edmonton area as a book-online destination for one of a kind cycling experiences. Schools incorporate the sport of cycling into many aspects of their curriculum, ranging from physical education, recreational, and academy programs, or simply one-time field trips. School groups are provided with well-maintained bicycles and professional instruction to make the students' time at the velodrome a truly unforgettable and educational experience.
When booking, please keep in mind that, for safety reasons, we allow a maximum of 15 students on the track at any given time. Therefore, generally, we will split the class into 2 or more groups, depending on the size of your class. We suggest that you try to book a minimum of 1 hour of time per group of 30 students.
Please consider the following when deciding the length of your booking:
- What is the focus of your trip ( is it for fitness, first-time experience, team-building, etc.). This will affect the amount of time appropriate for your booking.
- 1 hour bookings are optimal for 15 – 24 students
- 1.5 hour bookings are optimal for 25 – 30 students
These times are mere suggestions for you to get the most out of the track experience – we will do our best to accommodate your group with the time you have available to maximize each student's time on the velodrome.
Please Read Before Booking Any Classes
- Helmets: Please have students bring their own helmets. We are able to provide helmets, but for health reasons, prefer each student bring their own (sharing sweaty helmets is not generally desirable).
- Proper Attire: Optimal bottoms are shorts or capris (students will NOT be allowed to ride in baggy bottoms, dresses, or skirts, due to safety reasons).
- Footwear: Optimal footwear are running shoes (students will NOT be allowed to ride in sandals, flip-flops, Toms*, heels, flats, or boots, due to safety reasons).
- Class Size: Call us if you need help determining the duration of your booking based on the number of students attending.
- Cost: $8.50 per student (no cost for teachers)
- We Provide: bikes, instructors, experience
- Weather Policy: The velodrome is an outdoor facility. Keeping this in mind, in the event of poor weather, cancelled bookings will be re-scheduled at the group's convenience. If in doubt of weather conditions, please contact us prior to coming (780-953-5269). We will make every effort to contact you prior to your booking in the event that the velodrome is not rideable.
- Cancellation Policy: We require 72 hours (3 days) notice for cancellations.
We can help you develop a cycling program to be incorporated into your school program.
Bring your class to ride the velodrome for a unique, one-time student experience they will never forget.
We provide a variety of activities and experiences for teachers to enhance their own personal skill and knowledge of cycling.
News and Upcoming Events
- Drop in & try
- Learn to ride (contact us for availability)
- Learn to race (contact us for availability)
- Courses offered through Continuing Education - Intro to Cycling & Intro to Bicycle Racing
Opportunities for Schools
- Ask about school fundraising events: bike-a-thons, student union events
Contact us if you have any questions at firstname.lastname@example.org.